Marquette’s Maritime Month~August 2013
Marquette’s Maritime Month Events
- Boatloads of Fun: Thursday, August 8, 2013, Join the staff of the Marquette Maritime Museum as we take our show on the road over to the U.P. Children’s Museum for their Second Thursday of the Month Series: Boatloads of Fun! Join us for a variety of local history-themed, fun, hands-on activities and crafts. As always, there will be creative snacks, unexpected music and much more! Free with admission or membership. Thursday is also Domino’s Pizza Night at the Children’s Museum, so order your pizza before 5:30 PM by calling (906) 226-3911 and it will be delivered during the event. The cost is $6 per pizza (includes tip).
- Evening Lighthouse Tours: August 12th and 22nd at 6:30 PM, the Maritime Museum will offer special lighthouse tours in the evening. A costumed tour guide will escort visitors up to the Marquette Harbor Lighthouse, where they will learn the history of the lighthouse and stories about the keepers that lived there. You may even hear a ghost story or two! Admission is $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids 12 and under. Tour leaves from the Marquette Maritime Museum. No reservations are required.
- Themed Saturdays! Every Saturday during the month of August, the Maritime Museum will celebrate a different maritime theme. August 10th we will explore shipwrecks, August 17th we will be remembering the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, August 24th we will be honoring World War II Submariners and August 31st we will light the way with Great Lakes Lighthouses. Each Saturday will feature special videos in our newly updated theater and raffles for give-a-ways. The Maritime Museum is open from 10 AM – 5 PM. Included with paid admission to the Museum.
- Kid’s Day at the Maritime Museum!! On Friday, August 30th all kids 12 and under are free! We will have face painting, balloon swords, treasure hunt, pirate scavenger hunt, craft table, dress up chest and exploration sea chests. Light refreshments will also be served. The Maritime Museum is open from 10 AM – 5 PM.
- Meet the Author/Book Signing: On August 24th from Noon – 4 PM. Author John G. Mansfield, Jr. will be at the Maritime Museum signing his book “Cruisers for Breakfast: War Patrols of the USS Darter and USS Dace.” This military history book is about two WWII submarines that started the largest naval engagement in history, the Battle of Leyte Gulf. ”Cruisers for Breakfast” includes action, adventure, humor and heartwarming accounts of the brave men who served on the Darter’s four and Dace’s eight war patrols. This includes Marquette’s very own, Captain David H. McClintock, who was captain of the USS Darter. Stop in to meet the author, look through a World War II periscope or watch the interactive diorama depicting the Battle of Leyte Gulf. ”Cruisers for Breakfast” will be available for purchase in the Museum’s Gift Shop.
- Kid’s Coloring Contest!!! The Maritime Museum !wants you to use your imagination this month and create a piece of art to be entered in our coloring contest! Click the link to download the rules and submission form. All entries need to be turned in to the Marquette Maritime Museum by 5 PM on Sunday, August 25, 2013. Winners will be notified by Saturday, August 31, 2013 by telephone. MARITIME MONTH COLORING CONTEST
Other things to do to celebrate Maritime Month!